That Acceptance Speech Made Me Cry

Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McCraney accepted the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Moonlight.

Jenkin's spoke first, and after thanking the usual grocery list of people, he said:

“I told my students that I teach sometimes be in love with the process, not the result but I really wanted this result because a bajillion people are watching. And all you people out there who feel like there’s no mirror for you, that your life is not reflected, the Academy has your back, the ACLU has your back, we have your back and over the next four years we will not leave you alone. We will not forget you.” 

McCraney spoke second, saying:

“I also want to say thank God for my mother who proved to me through her struggles and the struggles that Naomie Harris portrayed for all of you, that we can really be here and be somebody, two boys from Liberty City up here on this stage representing 305. This goes out to all those black and brown boys and girls and non-gender conforming who don’t see themselves, we are trying to show you, you and us. So thank you, thank you, this is for you.”

I'm sorry, just because I want to rent a blimp just to see these words written in the sky, here they are again.

"This goes out to all those black and brown boys and girls and non-gender conforming who don’t see themselves, we are trying to show you, you and us. So thank you, thank you, this is for you.”

Moonlight went on to win Best Picture. A plea for inclusion won the most prestigious award of the evening. I'm in awe. I'm so happy for all those who worked so hard on this film and the message it sends to everyone it touches. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pro-Fat Doesn't Mean Anti-Health

Bands With Good Music and Good Philanthropy

What It Took To Get Bill O'Reilly Fired