Dr. Seuss, happy birthday!

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”

It's Dr. Seuss' 113th birthday, well, would have been. You know what I mean. Theodor Seuss Geisel died in 1991, after producing more than 60 children's books. Fun fact: he was in advertising before he started writing. 

The quote above is one of my absolute favorite quotes. These words are framed up on my wall. They are a daily reminder that the world is much bigger than I am. They are an inspiration to many, as they are a good reminder that empathy is still valid and can't be forgotten. 

Originally found in The Lorax, this quote goes down as one of the hundreds the masses still plaster everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Schools, offices, bedrooms, etc. 



The Lorax was made into an animated film in 2012. But the book, the book can't be beat. Dr. Seuss’s Lorax spoke for the trees and warned of the dangers of disrespecting the environment. In this cautionary rhyming tale (printed on recycled paper) we learn of the Once-ler, who came across a valley of Truffula Trees and Brown Bar-ba-loots, and how his harvesting of the tufted trees changed the landscape forever. With the release of the film version, the Lorax and his classic tale have educated a new generation of young readers not only about the importance of seeing the beauty in the world around us, but also about our responsibility to protect it.

I remember when I fell in love with this book. It was one of the first times I heard the term 'tree-hugger' from opposition of this book's message. But it was also one of the first times I learned that your passion for something is bigger than any name you could be called for it. 

And another personal favorite. Something I will be taking with me as I graduate college and embark into another chapter of my life: 

“And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bands With Good Music and Good Philanthropy

Pro-Fat Doesn't Mean Anti-Health

What It Took To Get Bill O'Reilly Fired